Advice on reclaiming money owed by energy companies

December 16, 2014

The UK’s major energy suppliers – British Gas, EDF Energy, E.ON, Npower, SSE, and Scottish Power – have launched a nationwide campaign to help reunite customers with money owed to them by their former energy supplier. The ‘My Energy Credit’ campaign aims to hand back repayments of around £50 to approximately 3 million energy consumers. The credit has typically been left behind by customers who have moved address, switched supplier, or left unclaimed credit when closing the estate of a relative who has passed away.

Energy UK, the trade association for the energy industry, is coordinating the public awareness campaign that targets energy consumers across the country. It aims to spread awareness about money that might be owed to them by their previous energy supplier, and makes it easier for consumers to check whether they are owed money or not. Customers can apply for their credit repayment regardless of when the account was closed as long as there is proof that they were a former customer. Running in parallel to the ‘My Energy Credit’ campaign, the member companies are stepping up their own efforts to reunite customers with their cash by reviewing their records and employing search agencies.

Customers can claim credit repayments by telephone (0370 737 7770), post (Freepost RTHL-ZYBU-KBCC, My Energy Credit, 47 Aylesbury Road, Thame, OX9 3PG ), or the website.