I welcome news that crime has fallen by a fifth, its lowest rate on record. This means that last year there were 2.4 million fewer crimes than in the year 2009/10. Hertfordshire Constabulary has produced an 18% drop in crime since the last General Election. This is thanks to the hard work of our Police, and measures taken to improve the service.
The Government has:
- Cut red tape and scrapped unnecessary targets saving 4.5 million hours of Police time; time now used on the front line,
- Provided tougher sentences for criminals so communities are protected and justice is done,
- Given the Police the latest tools and techniques to tackle criminals,
- Stopped people from becoming criminals by tackling the root causes of crime,
- Made the Police answer to the community to help drive down crime.
Hertfordshire has traditionally been very fortunate with its low rates of crime, but we are seeing them drop even more. Across the county, the 150,000 fewer homes burgled, 317,000 fewer vehicle crimes, and 400,000 fewer violent crimes are making our street and communities safer every year. I congratulate the Police for all their hard work. There is more to do, but the plan is working.